Covid-19 Policies and Procedures - 2021
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rosebud Preschool has new policies for children, families and staff for re-opening beginning Monday, June 7, 2021. These policies will stay in effect until further notice. They have been developed using guidance from the California Community Care Licensing Department (CCLD), the national Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Sonoma County’s Department of Public Health. Many other sources of information were reviewed to ensure best practices during the pandemic.
Ultimately, our goal is to keep our preschool families and staff safe, to provide care for those who want it, to support the livelihood of our staff, and to keep the school financially viable so that we can continue to provide a quality preschool experience to our community.
These temporary pre-opening procedures are to help ensure our program has a plan and is prepared during the COVID-19 pandemic. These procedures were developed to comply with the regulations and guidelines provided by the Sonoma County Department of Health and the Community Care Licensing Division. We will continue with these procedures until we receive explicit instructions that they can be modified or stopped.
Date the program will open: Monday – June 7, 2021
Number of children and ages: For Summer 2021, our cohort will consist of a maximum of 20 children and five staff members. For Fall 2021, we will adhere to the regulations in place at that time.
Will children with special health care needs be attending?
Possibly. Specific Health Needs - allergies, asthma. Supports are already in place.
Prior to reopening, we will:
- Review cleaning/disinfecting procedures with staff and janitors.
- Ensure we have approved sanitizers and disinfectants on site.
- Ensure we have all supplies needed for social distancing.
- Create a staffing plan.
- Train as needed to include information on special health care needs, medications, infectious disease, and review of COVID-19 signs and symptoms.
- Create a communication plan for parents and staff including new procedures such as drop off/pick up, health checks, guidelines for if/when a child becomes ill.
- Prepare required signage.
- Request updated emergency forms and medical releases from families.
Drop-off / Sign-in:
- Entrance to the school is through the gate to the play yard and is limited to essential visitors.
- Drop-off / Sign-in location is just inside the front door of the school.
- All children will be accompanied by a parent to the Drop-off / Sign-in location.
- If possible, the same parent/caregiver should drop off and pick up the child every day, avoid designating those at high risk.
- If more than one family arrives at the same time, please maintain at least a six foot distance between family units.
- Before a child is signed in a staff member will do a well child check that includes:
- General mood and changes in behavior
- Skin rashes, unusual spots, swelling or bruises
- Complaints of pain and not feeling well
- Signs/symptoms of disease
- Reported illness in child or family members
- Parent/caregiver will sign-in via a QR code with a back up paper sign in sheet available if needed. If a paper sign-in sheet is used, sanitized pens will be available and will be disinfected before reuse.
- Parent/caregivers are not allowed to enter the school or play yard at this time. Each child will be escorted by a teacher to the classroom individually or in a family grouping.
- Handwashing on entry is required of all children and staff.
- Until children are signed-in and in the care of the staff, parents must and children should wear face covers.
- Please wash your hands and have your child wash their hands before traveling to school.
- Staff will wear face coverings while working the drop-off station
- All children are to be picked up at the front door of the school.
- Sign-out location is just inside the front door of the school.
- Parent/caregiver signs-out using the same process as for sign-in.
- Social distancing should be maintained using the same procedure as for sign-in.
Logs will be kept daily to ensure checks are completed at check-in and mid-day as appropriate. Parents and staff will be required to answer questions upon arrival which will be logged by an employee on Child/Staff Health Screening Form.
- If a child or staff is ill, it will be logged on the screening form and they will not be accepted that day.
- If your child’s, or a staff member’s, temperature is between 99.6-100.3 degrees, we will monitor their temperature once per hour throughout the day. If it goes up to 100.4, we will ask that they go home.
- If we call you to pick up your child, you need to arrive within 30 minutes.
- If a child or staff is absent, we ask that you call and give a reason. If they are ill, it will be logged on our daily log.
- If a child or a staff member is diagnosed with COVID-19, we need to be informed immediately. We will use protocols from the CDC and Sonoma County Department of Health in circumstances where positive COVID-19 cases have been identified in the building. All families will be notified if this occurs.
- Cough or Sore throat
- Shortness of Breath
- Fever (temp of 100.4 or higher)
- If child or staff has had close contact with someone with COVID-19 or symptoms of COVID-19
Designated isolation area:
There will be a designated space for isolating sick children who are waiting for a parent.
- Isolation area will be disinfected after use.
- Staff supervising sick child will use personal protective equipment.
- If there is more than one sick child at a time, children will be kept 6 feet apart
Cleaning, Sanitizing & Disinfecting Procedures:
- All cleaning requirements have been documented and a schedule created.
- Only EPA registered products will be used.
- Staff will clean and sanitize during the day.
- Used toys and other materials will be cleaned and disinfected at the end of the day.
- Outside play equipment will be disinfected at the end of the day.
- The classroom will be disinfected by the janitor each evening.
Masks are required for all staff at all times and for parents at drop off and pick up. Current California State regulations (July 2020), require everyone over the age of 2 years to wear a face mask when associating with others. We are to consider the cognitive and developmental capabilities of each child when enforcing our facial covering practices. Parents will bring a face mask to school each day for each child. This regulation may change for the general population before it does for the preschool community.
- We will provide both a morning and an afternoon snack. All items will be single serve or pre-packaged.
- Water will be available inside and out either thru individual servings in disposable cups The outside drinking fountain will be covered.
- Lunches should be brought in a container clearly marked with your child’s name. Food will not be warmed up.
- We will eat as many meals as possible outside.
We will encourage social distancing by arranging tables so that the children can sit and see each other and carry on conversations but still be physically separated. We will still have some group meetings and activities but will set out markers so the children will know where they can sit. Any time children or staff are inside the windows will be open.
Open Play time
- Children will play outside whenever possible. We will incorporate combined indoor and outside play as staffing permits.
Toys and Materials
- Each item used will be cleaned and disinfected each day
- Toys from home are not allowed
- Our regular handwashing procedures will continue.
- Staff and children will also wash hands after using a common play area/playground
Cots will be placed a minimum of six feet apart and with children in a head to toe configuration. Blankets and sheets will be provided by the school and washed regularly. Children may bring a small lovey to keep at school.
No items may be brought from home other than a lunch and a nap lovey. All items will stay at school and be laundered by the staff.
Emergency Forms and Medical Releases
Children attending school at this time will need new emergency forms and medical releases.
Access to School
Only staff and children may enter the school building. All deliveries will be directed to the breezeway. Signs will be posted on all doors barring entry to the school. There will be no tours, visitors, outside vendors, or volunteers at the school during school hours.
Access to Play yard
Please do not enter the play yard upon arrival or departure except to come to the door. We have put up a temporary barrier to remind children to stay away from the entry while on the play yard and to not enter the play yard from the entry.
Communications between teachers and families will take place via email, phone or zoom to allow for social distancing.
At this time, we will only be using the main classroom. We will have one group of children with four staff members.
All required signs will be posted both in and outside the school. These include:
- Do not enter the building if you are experiencing symptoms
- Hand washing signs at each sink
- No entry other than students and staff
- Social Distancing markers
- Sonoma County Social Distancing Protocol
- Disinfecting and Sanitizing Instructions
- Only one child at a time in the bathroom if possible.
- Bathroom fixtures will be cleaned and sanitized between use.
Tuition Payments and School Closures
- Tuition refunds will not be given for school closures of up to two weeks at one time when mandated by public agencies such as Public Health. Our program’s ability to reopen quickly and seamlessly in the event of a temporary closure depends upon our ability to continue wages for our teachers during closures.
- In the event of a school closure longer than two weeks at one time, the School Board will meet in an emergency session to discuss tuition and assess the needs of the school to allow reopening in conjunction with the needs of the families.
- In the event of a COVID-19 diagnosis of a student or staff member, we will follow the advice of regulatory agencies regarding closure.
Parent Handbook in Response to COVID-19
Student’s Name: ________________________________
I have read the Plan, Procedures and Policies for Rosebud Preschool In Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic document and I agree to comply with the policies and procedures listed, as well as all local, state and federal regulations regarding COVID-19 health and safety. I will read and comply with updates on regulations from Rosebud Preschool.
Signature of Parent or Guardian: _____________________________
Print name of person signing: ________________________________